A tomato caprese appetizer is always a huge party pleaser. These mini pastry cups are the perfect combination of tomato basil mozzarella and balsamic reduction. This caprese appetizer is bite sized and party perfect.
Tomato and mozzarella salad, frequently called caprese salad, is always a crowd please. Here is takes the form of an easy to make and super flavorful appetizer.
What is caprese?
Caprese salad is a combination of tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella. Frequently, it is drizzled with balsamic reduction.
A caprese appetizer can take so many forms from a traditional plated salad to caprese skewers to this version which features all of the components in a small puff pastry cup.
The key is making sure all the components of the classic tomato and mozzarella salad are a fresh as possible because there is very little seasoning on them.
To make these little pastry cups, I buy the little fresh mozzarella balls and halve them to fit into the cups. You could also just cut pieces of a large piece of fresh mozzarella if you can’t find the baby mozzarella balls. Just make sure you cut it small enough to fit down inside of the pastry cup.
The absolute best part of this mini caprese appetizer is the roasted cherry tomatoes. Just a few minutes in the oven makes them so flavorful and perfect for this recipe.
We always try to have as many one bite appetizers at our parties to limit the need for utensils. These are so perfect for that as they are the perfect size for popping into your mouth.
If you like this mini caprese appetizer recipe, be sure to check out these other great holiday party appetizers:
- Cranberry Orange Mini Cheeseballs
- Spinach Artichoke Crescent Rolls
- Roasted Beet and Blue Cheese Tarts
- Prosciutto Parmesan Cheese Straws
- Shrimp Taco Bites
If you make this mini caprese salad appetizer or any other recipe from the blog, I’d love to hear about your experience. Let me know in the comments or snap a photo and tag it #MySuburbanKitchen on Instagram or Twitter.
- 1 box puff pastry cups
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 6-8 fresh baby mozzarella balls, halved
- 3 Tbsp balsamic reduction
- Fresh basil, chiffonade
- Prepare puff pastry cups according to packing instructions.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss tomatoes with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven for 5-8 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove from oven.
- Place a mozzarella ball half into each puff pastry cup. Top each with a roasted tomato.
- Drizzle puff pastry cups with balsamic reduction and garnish with fresh basil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g