Wondering what to do with leftover turkey this Thanksgiving? Look no futher than this super easy and delicious Mexican leftover turkey pie recipe. It is packed with flavors and takes you way beyond the boring leftover turkey sandwich.
Leftover turkey is just one of those facts of the holidays. No matter how well anyone plans, there always seems to be more leftover turkey than anyone really wants (or at least that is how it goes in my house). This leftover turkey pie recipe is perfect for using up the turkey after everyone is tired of sandwiches!
This recipe uses a bunch of ingredients that most people probably wouldn’t associate with leftover turkey recipes. But, that is what makes it so awesome…it breaks away from the usual recipes for leftover turkey and really punches up the flavor.
I tried to keep this recipe super simple and started with a frozen deep dish pie crust. If you love making your own pie crust, definitely go ahead!
The recipe is as simple as mix, dump and bake!
Another reason why I love this turkey pie recipe is because it is totally freezer friendly! We usually make two and freeze one for later. Just wrap it tightly and freeze before the baking step.
I used cubed turkey in this turkey pie recipe but you could easily just shred it as well. It will no affect the taste or cooking time at all.
So, the next time anyone asks what to do with leftover turkey, grab this recipe and share it with them! I promise everyone who tries it will absolutely fall in love with it.
If you like this Mexican leftover turkey pie recipe, be sure to check out these other great leftover turkey recipe ideas:
- Turkey Tacos with Cranberry Salsa
- Turkey Spinach Lasagna Rolls
- Leftover Turkey Noodle Casserole
- Turkey and Ranch Quesadillas
- Leftover Turkey Chili
If you make this Mexican leftover turkey pie recipe or any other recipe from the blog, I’d love to hear about your experience. Let me know in the comments or snap a photo and tag it #MySuburbanKitchen on Instagram or Twitter.
- 2 cups cooked, chopped turkey breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup picante sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 (4 oz) can sliced black olives, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 frozen deep dish pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the turkey, onion, garlic, picante sauce, cumin, salt, diced tomatoes, zucchini, olives and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese in a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a deep dish pie crust. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- I recommend baking this with a baking sheet under your pie crust to prevent spillage in your oven.
- To freeze: Complete through steps 3. Cover tightly and freeze. Remove from freezer and preheat oven. Bake until heated through.