The best Christmas party appetizers are simple to make and use easy to find, seasonal ingredients. These balsamic cranberry brie bites make the best appetizers because they are elegant, full of flavor and cinch to make. Try them for your next party.
The holidays are always packed with parties. From casual get togethers to all out elegant affairs, these balsamic cranberry brie bites will fit right in as one of the best appetizers you can serve.
Whenever I am planning finger foods for a party, I always try to select ingredients that can be used for multiple recipes. A cranberry brie puff pastry recipe can take on many forms from these little brie bites to a complete baked brie cranberry en croute.
The most popular Christmas party appetizers at our events are always the brie appetizer because no one can resist the creamy cheese.
Of course, when I am planning for any kind of party, my first stop for ingredients and supplies is BJ’s Wholesale Club. They always have everything I need from pre-made options to ingredients for every recipe on my menu.
I love visiting their cheese case and seeing all the great options. The brie wheels are priced at such an amazing value so I usually buy two. Unlike many people do for cheese platters, be sure to remove the rind from the brie wheel before starting with this recipe though.
Working with puff pastry can seem like a daunting task if you aren’t used to it. A few tips to make it much easier:
- Be sure to thaw it but only for about 30-40 minutes. If it stays out of the freezer for much longer, the dough will begin to get sticky and difficult to work with.
- Do not attempt to unfold the puff pastry until it is thawed. This will prevent cracking.
- Flour your work surface AND your rolling pin. This will prevent the dough from sticking and pulling when you are rolling it out.
- Don’t have a rolling pin? Don’t worry! You can use anything similar. I actually used a vodka bottle to roll out the dough for these because my rolling pin was missing.
- Use sharp tools when cutting puff pastry. This will ensure that your cuts are clean.
- Put your pastry back into the fridge for a few minutes before baking. This will ensure it puffs perfectly.
- To get the golden brown coloring, brush the outer edges with a light egg wash before baking.
This recipe uses fresh cranberries which are so easy to find around the holidays. If you want to make these any time of year though, just check the freezer section where you will find whole cranberries. A quick thaw before using them will make them perfect for this recipe.
As we head into the holiday season, be sure to visit BJ’s Wholesale Club for all your entertaining needs. They offer an amazing value on the best ingredients from fresh meats and vegetables to party platters that are open and serve.
Plus, right now they have a great offer for same day delivery on orders of $35 or more. Simply use code bjsholiday on orders placed between 12/15/18 and 12/24/18 to receive the offer.
If you love these balsamic cranberry brie bites, be sure to check out these other great finger foods for party:
- Roasted Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms
- Pomegranate Pumpkin Crostini
- Prosciutto Parmesan Cheese Straws
- Antipasto Skewers
- Pomegranate Goat Cheese Mini Bites
And if you are looking for a few additional ways to use the incredible brie you got from BJ’s Wholesale Club, these are the best appetizers:
- Cherry Brie Crostini
- Sriracha Apricot Bacon Brie
- Cayenne Candied Bacon Brie
- Baked Brie with Caramelized Onions
- Sausage and Brie Breakfast Casserole
If you make these balsamic cranberry brie bites or any other recipe from the blog, please be sure to share your experience in the comments. Or snap a photo and tag it #MySuburbanKitchen on Instagram or Twitter.
Balsamic cranberry brie bites make the perfect finger food for a party.
- 1 package puff pastry, thawed
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 wheel brie, rind removed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp water
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Line a second rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil.
In a medium bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, sugar and cranberries. Stir to combine and then transfer to baking sheet lined with foil. Top with rosemary. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry into large rectangle. Using a round biscuit cutter, cut into circles and transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Cut the brie into small pieces. Place in the center of each puff pastry circle. Bake for 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water to create egg wash.
Remove pan from oven and top each circle with cranberries. Brush sides with egg wash and return to oven for 10-15 minutes or until puff pastry is fully cooked and lightly browned.
- If fresh cranberries are not available, thaw frozen cranberries and dry with paper towels to remove excess surface moisture before combining with sugar.
- Brie bites can be topped with additional fresh rosemary if desired.