This chicken skillet recipe combines a few simple ingredients for a recipe that is droolworthy and perfect for meal prep.
It seems like life these days get busier and busier. For most families, including mine, even a 30 minute meal can be challenge on many evenings. I find that it gets even harder to get a delicious dinner on the table and we end up ordering take out or going out to eat. This leads to spending a lot more money and, frequently, wasted food since I’ve actually bought food to make but just didn’t have time to make it. But, I find when I take some time one day a week to do a little meal prep that all changes.
One of the keys to making meal prep actually work is to make sure you have the right tools and recipes. This tomato basil skillet recipe is perfect for creating a few different meal options from layer the chicken and sauce over pasta to using the chicken and sauce to create a homemade pizza (check out my chicken Alfredo flatbread for an option!)
For this tomato basil chicken recipe, I use a store bought sauce. With limited time in my schedule, I try to search for one that I know will be full of flavor and work well in my recipe. If you have extra time, a homemade Alfredo sauce is a great fill-in for the store bought sauce used here.
Tomato Basil Chicken Skillet Ingredients:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup grape tomatoes
1 jar Creamy Basil Alfredo sauce
1/4 cup half and half
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, julienned
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp chopped basil
Let’s Make It:
1. Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet.
2. Add mushrooms and grape tomatoes to skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in Alfredo sauce and half and half. Add chicken and sun dried tomatoes. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Top with grated Parmesan and basil just before serving.
There are so many options with this recipe! I’ve added broccoli and served over top of pasta. I’ve also served the chicken with a side of roasted asparagus and garlic bread. Any option you choose is sure to be a hit with the family.
If you like this recipe for tomato basil chicken skillet, be sure to try these other quick and easy dinner recipes:
- One Pot Pizza Pasta
- Balsamic Chicken Vegetable Skillet
- 15 Minute Tomato Basil Mozzarella Pasta
- Garlic Chicken Bow Tie Pasta
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 jar Creamy Basil Alfredo sauce
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, julienned
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped basil
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet.
- Add mushrooms and grape tomatoes to skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in Alfredo sauce and half and half. Add browned chicken and sun dried tomatoes. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Top with grated Parmesan and basil just before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 41g
Nutritional values are estimates only.
If you make this tomato basil chicken skillet or any recipe from the blog, I’d love to hear about your experience. Leave a comment below or snap a photo and tag it #MySuburbanKitchen on Instagram or Facebook.