Cinco de Mayo is not only a celebration of Mexican culture, it’s also one of the best foodie holidays of the year. Why? Because let’s be honest, it’s all about the tequila… that’s why!
Hi everyone (or should I say ‘hola’?), it’s Christin from Blue Crab Martini back again with another delicious cocktail for you! I’m excited to be celebrating Cinco de Mayo here on Just Us Four, and today I’m sharing my recipe for a Strawberry Key Lime Margarita.
When it comes to Cinco de Mayo, the best way (really, the only way) to celebrate is to wear a sombrero and have a margarita in hand at all times. You do have a sombrero, right? No? Well neither do I, but wouldn’t it be great if people really did wear them all day on Cinco? Everyone would be smiling and in a great mood (although, that could also be the tequila talkin’)!
This year why not shake things up a bit and try a new twist on the classic margarita? This Strawberry Key Lime Margarita is full of fresh berry and citrus flavor, but don’t worry, it still packs a nice punch of tequila!
This tasty margarita starts with muddling together fresh strawberries and key limes. This combination gives the drink a nice sweet and tangy flavor all in one sip. If you can’t find key limes, the regular variety will also work but go for the key limes if at all possible. Those babies, although small, have a distinct flavor that can’t be beat. I was lucky enough to have a whole box of key limes on hand, freshly picked from a tree in southern Texas, so of course I had to make at least one margarita with them, right? *wink, wink*
How are you planning to celebrate Cinco this year? A big tequila-tastic fiesta? A quiet Taco Tuesday evening at home? (Side note, how convenient is it that Cinco de Mayo lands on a Tuesday this year?) No matter what your plans are, whether big or small, let’s raise a (tequila filled) glass and toast to Cinco de Mayo! Cheers!
- 2 key limes, cut into quarters
- 4 large organic strawberries, stems removed and cut into halves
- 4 oz your favorite tequila (I recommend Patron)
- 2 oz Patron Citronge Orange Liqueur
- ½ oz agave nectar
- 1 oz Grand Marnier
- Sea salt, for rimming the glass
- Add the key limes and strawberries to a shaker and muddle until both are well broken down.
- Add about ½ cup of ice, add the tequila, Citronge Orange Liqueur, and agave. Give it a good shake, shake, and pour through a strainer into a salt rimmed margarita glass.
- Float the Grand Marnier on top and garnish with a slice of key lime or a strawberry.