This Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese sandwich is the perfect mix of cheese, veggies and low cal bread! Loaded with Brussels sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms, peppers and spinach, this grilled cheese recipe is to die for! Your quest to eating healthier doesn’t mean you can’t have yummy food!
Comfort food doesn’t get any better than a gooey grilled cheese sandwich! But, you don’t have to miss out on your daily vegetables either when you make this amazing roasted vegetable grilled cheese. Full of flavor, lots of vegetables and of course, melty cheese!
Back in October, I started to really get serious with focusing on getting healthier. I had finally finished recovery from my knee surgery from falling down the stairs earlier in the year and I was ready to focus on living a healthier lifestyle. In addition to changes in my regular routine like getting more sleep and drinking more water, I also started making smarter food choices. More vegetables were added into my diet and I looked to reduce calories in my meals whenever possible.
This sandwich is the perfect combination of roasted vegetables and yummy cheese. It is an amazingly delicious way to meet my goal of healthier eating while still getting tons of flavor. I use a mix of Brussels sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms, peppers and spinach in this version but you can add or omit pretty much any vegetable as long as it can stand up to roasting in the oven.
This is hands down my absolute favorite sandwich right now. I can’t get enough of the roasted vegetables and, of course, yummy cheese!
If you make this roasted vegetable grilled cheese sandwich or any recipe from the blog, I’d love to hear about it. Let me know in the comments or snap a photo and tag it #MySuburbanKitchen on Instagram or Twitter.
If you liked this Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese, check out these:
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- 4 slices Multi-Grain bread
- 1/3 cup brussels sprouts sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup asparagus cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup mushrooms sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 2 Tbsp roasted red peppers diced
- 2 oz goat cheese
- 1 Tbsp low fat cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp low fat mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. On a baking sheet, spread asparagus, brussels sprouts, and mushrooms. Drizzle olive oil over the top, and then sprinkle the salt and pepper over the top as well. Using your hands, mix everything together; coating evenly. Place in oven and roast for 20 minutes, mixing veggies after 10 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside.
2. While roasting the veggies, prepare your goat cheese spread: in a microwave safe bowl place goat cheese, cream cheese, and mayo, microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and mix with a fork until completely mixed together.
3. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread (this buttered side will be on the outside of the sandwich). On the unbuttered sides, spread goat cheese mixture (all slices). Then top on top of the goat cheese mixture, add half of the roasted veggies and half of the spinach. Top with the other slice of bread, so that the veggies are enclosed with goat cheese mixture and the butter is on the outside of the sandwich. Repeat for second sandwich.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the sandwiches. Cook for 3-5 minutes on the first side, or until browned and crisp (watch closely because this will depend on your heat level- do not cook on high heat, slower is better when it comes to grilled cheese). Once browned, carefully flip the sandwich over with a spatula, and cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side, or until browned. Cut in half and serve immediately.