This banana bread recipe makes a delicious and moist loaf (or cake) and has a fun twist perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Banana bread is a great way to use up ripe bananas. By simply combining it with cake mix and few other ingredients, you’ll get a perfect red velvet banana bread that everyone is going to love.
This bread recipe is super easy to make! You just need a few easy to find ingredients and some very ripe bananas.
Why do you use ripe bananas for this cake mix banana bread recipe?
- Ripe bananas are softer and easier to mix into the batter.
- Ripe bananas are sweeter which makes them perfect for sweeter recipes.
- Ripe bananas are less starchy which works better for baking.
What substitutions can be made in this banana bread recipe?
- Change the cake mix used in the recipe for a totally different flavor. Chocolate would be really tasty.
- Use walnuts or pine nuts in place of the pecans. You can easily omit the nuts, if you prefer.
- The recipe makes two loaves but you can bake it in a bundt cake pan instead. Simply increase the baking time to 40-45 minutes.
- Use a regular sugar glaze in place of the cream cheese glaze.
I love the look of the bundt cake when making this red velvet banana bread (my kids call it their favorite cake!). The cream cheese is so good on top too!
You can make this banana bread 2-3 days in advance. Simply wrap the cooled, un-iced bread in plastic wrap or store in an airtight container. Similarly, you can freeze the cooled, un-iced bread for up to three months.
If you love this red velvet banana cake recipe, be sure to try these other delicious bread recipes too:
If you make this banana bread recipe or any other recipe from the blog, I’d love to hear about your experience. Let me know in the comments or snap a photo and tag it #MySuburbanKitchen on Instagram or Facebook. And be sure to use the photo below to save this recipe to your Pinterest boards!
For the Bread
- 3 extra ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
For cream cheese glaze:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat one bundt pan or two loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the bananas, eggs, and oil. Mix until fully combined. Stir in cake mix and mix well, Fold in pecans, if using.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake in preheated oven. Bake the bundt cake pan for 40-45 minutes or the loaf pans for 30-35 minutes. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the cream cheese glaze: Add the cream cheese and butter to to a microwaveable safe bowl. Microwave, in 20 second intervals, stirring in between each, until the mixture is easily mixed. Stir in the vanilla and then, working in bathes if needed, the powdered sugar. The mixture should be pourable. Pour over cooled bread.