I am so excited to partner with Safeway to bring you this delicious holiday side dish recipe. While this post is sponsored, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
From November 1st until New Year’s Day, I do so much cooking and I love every minute of it. From hosting Thanksgiving to our annual holiday party to the holiday feast with family, I am all about cooking for those that are special to me. And, while I stick to a few main recipes, I also enjoy coming up with new recipes and serving them alongside our more traditional choices. Right now, I am completely in love with this cranberry apple farro and can’t wait to serve it for our holiday dinner!
It seems like, during this time of year, I spend just about as much time in the grocery store as I do in the kitchen. So, I like to go somewhere where I know I will get quality ingredients at a great value while also being a store that is convenient to me and easy to navigate. For me, that is my local Safeway store. It is minutes from my daughter’s gymnastics practice and so easy to find everything I need in one easy shopping trip. I am always picking up the O Organics® and Open Nature® products that, for the Northern Virginia and Washington DC area, are found exclusively at Safeway.
Safeway believes that great-tasting organic food should be available to everyone at a great value so they offer the O Organics product line which allows shoppers to get items like USDA certified organic chicken or premium grass-fed, free range, and natural beef at a price that works with almost any budget. You can also find O Organics items, from spices to juices, on almost every aisle. During a recent trip, I was blown away by all the items available in the O Organics line and, during our salad preparation, I wanted to incorporate some of them into some new, unique side dishes for my holiday meals.
This cranberry apple farro is the perfect side dish for just about any meal. It comes together so easily and tastes fabulous thanks to the complimenting flavors of the apples, cranberries, and nuts.
I am so glad I bought extra O Organics dried cranberries because they had the best flavor and cost less than the brand I used to buy! Simmering the farro in the O Organics chicken broth, apple juice and mustard give it an extra flavor punch that water just can’t offer.
This cranberry apple farro definitely deserves a place on your holiday menu. Just look how easy it is to make!
While I buy my O Organics and Open Nature products at my local Safeway, if you aren’t in an area with Safeway stores, you can find them at all of the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, Star Market, United Express, United and Carrs/Safeway. Visit Safeway.com to find a store near you and to discover more meal prep tips and recipe ideas.
- 1 cup O Organics chicken broth
- 1 cup O Organics apple juice
- 1 Tbsp O Organics Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp O Organics Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp O Organics Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup farro
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, chopped
- 2 tsp O Organics minced garlic
- 1/2 cup O Organics dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 2 Tbsp O Organics fresh rosemary, chopped
1. In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth, apple juice, Dijon mustard, 1 Tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs de Provence and parsley to a boil. Stir in farro and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain any remaining liquid and transfer farro to serving bowl.
2. Heat remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil in nonstick skillet. Add onions and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add apples and sauté for an additional 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
3. Add onion mixture to bowl with farro. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Toss with apple cider vinegar if desired. Garnish with chopped, fresh rosemary.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 233kcal Calories from fat 99|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 11g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|