Mathlete is a scone lover. Every time we go to the coffee shop or pick up pastries for breakfast, he always chooses scones. I had never really thought about making my own scones until I was chatting with a blog friend of mine about ways to use her awesome basil simple syrup. I decided right then that I was going to try my hand at making strawberry basil scones with a basil glaze.
Of course, I didn’t want to come up with just a plain strawberry basil scone. I wanted it have to some nutrition to it to and so I decided to use Lifeway Kefir Cultured Milk Smoothies in my recipe and make my scones #KefirCreations. Kefir is a lot like yogurt but the cultured milk smoothies are gluten free and 99% lactose free. I love the great dose of calcium they add to recipes.
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup Kefir Strawberry Smoothie
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 tsp basil simple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Working in batches, cut in butter.
- Add kefir and mix well. Stir in strawberries and basil.
- Grease a baking pan. With lightly floured hands, form dough into large circle. Deeply score into 8 equal pieces. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until fully cooked. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk and basil simple syrup. Drizzle over cooled scones.
So, the hardest part of this recipe for me was forming the circle with the dough. Mine came out in sort of a weird shape so my pieces weren’t the perfect triangles you get from the bakery.
That is ok though because Mathlete loved the scones when I served them for breakfast this weekend! I thought the combination of the basil and strawberry was just perfect. The Lifeway Kefir Cultured Milk Strawberry Smoothie was the perfect addition to the recipe because it added just the right amount of creaminess and extra strawberry flavor.
If you are looking for ways to use Kefir Cultured Milk Smoothies beyond drinking them for a delicious breakfast or snack, search #CollectiveBias and #KefirCreations. You can also visit Lifeway’s website to sign up for money saving coupons.