Up your family’s vegetable intake and decrease dinner’s cooking time when you make this super easy and crazy delicious Mexican zucchini lasagna.
Lighten up a family favorite by swapping out traditional lasagna noodles with fresh zucchini! Mexican zucchini lasagna cooks in less than half of the time traditional lasagna and gives a great health benefit too. Plus, it tastes so good that your family will beg for this recipe to be on your weekly menu every week!
Replacing pasta with vegetables is totally all the rage right now and I love the trend! Not only does it mean we are eating more vegetables but, usually, those vegetables cook super fast too making dinner even easier.
In addition to swapping noodles with vegetables, this Mexican zucchini lasagna also trades traditional Italian flavors for Mexican inspired ones. It is a great way to shake up your regular dinner rotation and give your family they are absolutely going to love.
I recently got the Kitchenaid vegetable sheet cutter and it is perfect for this recipe. But, you can easily just slice the zucchini with a knife like I did when I initially made (and photographed) this.
If you like this Mexican zucchini lasagna, be sure to try:
Essential Items for this Recipe:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 zucchini sliced vertically
- 1/2 cup enchilada sauce
- 3 Tbsp grated cotija cheese
- 1 Tbsp cilantro chopped
1. Brown ground beef in medium skillet over medium heat, stirring to crumble.
2. Add taco seasoning and 1/3 cup water. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in black beans. Remove from heat.
3. Spoon a small amount (about 1-2 Tbsp) of enchilada into bottom of square baking dish. Spread into thin layer. Top with four slices of zucchini.
4. Divide half of ground beef mixture and spoon on top of zucchini. Top with 1/3 of remaining enchilada sauce. Repeat. Top last layer of zucchini with enchilada sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and discard foil. Sprinkle with cheese and chopped cilantro.
1. You will need a total of 12 zucchini slices for this recipe.
2. You can substitute chorizo or ground pork for the ground beef if desired.