With all of the heavy dishes that come with the holidays, I always look to include a delicious salad to lighten things up. This year, I am skipping my traditional lettuce salad and going with a kale pomegranate salad instead.
This salad looks absolutely stunning with the mix of vibrant green, bright orange and ruby red. I love using pomegranate arils in my salads and they great with the tangy dressing and tart oranges also included in the salad. You could toss in some pistachios if you want a little added crunch but I kept this one nut free. Or toss in some crumbled blue cheese for added flavor.
Ingredients for Kale Pomegranate Salad:
3 cups kale, washed and torn
1 orange, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup pomegranate arils
1/4 cup roasted chickpeas
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp honey
5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Let’s Make It:
1. In a large bowl, toss together kale, orange slices and pomegranate arils.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, honey and olive oil. Drizzle over salad just before serving. Top with roasted chickpeas.
You can make the dressing for this salad ahead of time. Just be sure to give it a good shake or whisk it again before adding to the salad to make sure that all the ingredients are still well combined.
I am excited to serve this salad for Thanksgiving. I am hoping it will get some of the doubter in my house to love kale as much as do! If not, we can always go back to a spinach salad for Christmas.
What are some of your favorite lighter holiday side dishes? Do you try to make sure you offer plenty of green vegetables along with mashed potatoes and heavier items?
Essential Items for This Recipe:
Salad Bowl // Salad Serving Set // Small Mixing Bowl // Whisk
- 3 cups kale, washed and torn
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup roasted chickpeas
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, toss together kale, orange slices and pomegranate arils.
- In a small bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, honey and olive oil. Drizzle over salad just before serving. Top with roasted chickpeas.
Carole from Carole's Chatter says
Hi Shannah, love this. Would you like to share this with the other participants in Food on Friday over at Carole’s Chatter? I have a weekly link up party – each week there is a different ingredient or theme. The current theme is Salads.
You can see upcoming themes in one of the pages at the top of my home page. If you would like to join in the fun please schedule a reminder for each week. The collection starts at 7am Friday New Zealand time – which is probably some time Thursday your time – I do find time zones quite confusing. Hope to see you soon. Cheers, Carole