Gruyere Apple Butter Crescents are the perfect fall appetizer or dessert. With sharp cheese and fresh apples, it is perfect for crisp, cool days!
Right now, I know everything is all about the pumpkin. You can find pumpkin spice in just about anything…from Cheerios to coffee to chili. But, let’s talk about another fall item that is equally as delicious: apples!
These Gruyere Apple Butter Crescents combine delicious homemade apple butter, sliced apples and delicious Gruyere cheese.
These crescent rolls would be perfect for breakfast, a sweet appetizer or even as a yummy dessert. The possibilities are endless!
Want to make them a little fancier? Just substitute puff pastry for the crescent rolls and voila! Of course, be sure to adjust the temperature and cooking time to account for the change in dough so they are golden brown like these.
I chose granny smith apples for these and I think it worked perfectly with the combination of apple butter and the sharper cheese. You can easily choose another apple but make sure it has at least a little bit of tartness to it (i.e. a golden or red delicious wouldn’t work very well).
Also if you can’t find any gruyere, there are a few different cheeses you can use as a gruyere substitute like raclette, emmental, jalsberg, or beaufort!
Also, be sure to read up on how to prevent apples from browning too! That way you won’t have to worry about them browning while you work.
What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy fall apples? Do you have a favorite apple variety or other apple butter uses? I found a poster the other day with tons of apple varieties and now I want to try each and every one to see how they are different! Good thing I still have plenty of time before apple season is over!
If you love these Gruyere Apple Butter Crescents, you’ll love these other crescent recipes:
- Spinach Artichoke Crescent Rolls – An Immaculate Holiday Appetizer
- Pecan Pie Crescent Rolls
- Lime Raspberry Cheesecake Crescent Ring
- Chicken Alfredo Crescent Roll-Ups Recipe
Essential items for this recipe:
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 1 8 oz can crescent rolls
- 4 Tbsp apple butter
- 1 granny smith apple peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/3 cup Gruyere cheese grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Roll out crescent dough and separate into individual pieces using the perforations in the dough as a guide. Spread about 1/2 Tbsp apple butter on each roll. Top with 1-2 apple pieces and a sprinkle of cheese. Roll up each roll and place on prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Enjoy while warm for best results.