Being able to make a quick salad at the beginning of the week and last for days is a huge time saver! This easy cucumber salad is perfect for your weekly meal planning or event because it is so easy to make and can be tossed together a few days in advance. The flavor just gets better with time! This easy cucumber salad is destined to be your new favorite salad!
This salad is so perfect for picnics and potlucks because you can easily make it a few days in advance without having to worry about it getting soggy or losing flavor. Once I get everything for this salad mixed together, I like to store it in a mason jars for easy access. If you are making it for an event or need larger portions than a mason jar holds, you can also store it any covered glass storage dish.
I’ve made this easy cucumber salad a few different ways depending on what vegetables I had around the house. If you don’t have a red onion handy, you can easily substitute a sweet or yellow onion. My husband prefers it with just red bell pepper and not the green one. My suggestion is to make it a few times and see which version works best for you.
One important thing to remember when making this easy cucumber salad is to choose English (or seedless) cucumbers. My store also refers them to as “hot house” cucumbers so look for that as an option too.
What are you favorite summer salads? Do you love using the best summer produce in dishes while it is widely available?
Essential Items for This Recipe:
Easy Cucumber Salad
- 3-4 English cucumbers sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 2-3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1. In a large bowl, mix together cucumbers, onion, bell peppers, and carrots. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine salt, white vinegar, sugar, celery seed, mustard seed, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
3. Combine vinegar mixture with cucumber mixture. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate.