I finished my first week of Whole30 and so I am feeling a little crummy. I always find that days 7-9 are my worst. By day 11, I am feeling good and know I can make it through the month. Let’s celebrate the completion of my first week though with a hearty stew that is filled amazing flavors and easy to make too. Paleo chicken chorizo stew is the perfect winter’s meal and it is good for you too!
One of the great things about this stew, similar to my chicken sausage stew, is that you can use any vegetables you have on hand. It is perfect for using up what is left in your fridge. I typically use potatoes, sweet potatoes and kale but you can change that to whatever you prefer and I think it would still be delicious. Just think of this stew as your healthy comfort food!
Check your ingredient labels before starting though if you are following Paleo or Whole30. The recipe is complaint as long as you use the right items 🙂
Paleo Chicken Chorizo Stew Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
16 oz chorizo, sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 bay leaves
4 cups chicken stock
28 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
1 cup broccoli florets
2 cups kale, roughly chopped
Let’s Make It:
1) Heat oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pot and cook for 3-5 minutes. Stir in chorizo and onion and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
2) Add potatoes through tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add kale and broccoli and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
What are some of your favorite winter comfort foods? Are you focusing on healthier eating during January like I am?
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 oz chorizo, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 28 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pot and cook for 3-5 minutes. Stir in chorizo and onion and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add potatoes through tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add the kale and broccoli and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves before serving.