Spring is a time for gorgeous flowers, warm air, and of course- an abundance of fresh produce! Now that the seasons have officially changed, it’s time to lighten things up and embrace the beautiful, bright, flavors of spring. One of my favorite flavor combinations for this time of year is strawberry and rhubarb. Perfectly sweet with a hint of tang, this is the best way to ring in spring.
Hi everyone! Christin from Blue Crab Martini here, and today I’ve got a delicious springtime cocktail to share with you, my Strawberry Rhubarb Cosmopolitan! This drink is bursting with the fresh flavors of the season and would be a great addition to your Easter or Mother’s Day celebrations.
Rhubarb is, in my opinion, an often overlooked springtime delight. Many people find it intimidating to work with, but with the right technique, the flavor of rhubarb is an incredible addition to many dishes (or in this case, cocktails). I always look for it when strolling through my local farmer’s market and buy up as much as I can. I hope you’ll give it a try too!
Traditional cosmos contain cranberry and lime juice, but for this version I’ve created a delicious strawberry rhubarb syrup to flavor the drink. The syrup is easy to make and really adds a unique blend of sweet and tang that’s irresistible! (An added bonus is that your kitchen will smell absolutely amazing while this is simmering away…mmmm!)
Cosmos are a vodka based drink and for this Strawberry Rhubarb Cosmo, I found a tasty strawberry vodka to really enhance the flavor. I think it gives the drink just the right amount of berry flavor without being too sweet.
The days here in Annapolis are (slowly) getting warmer and warmer, and I can’t wait to sit on my front porch and sip on one of these! It’s refreshing and crisp and definitely like taking a sip of pure springtime.
So if you’re out and about at your local farmer’s market and happen to spot a bundle of fresh rhubarb, go ahead and buy it, you’re in for a real treat! Let’s toast to the arrival of spring with a delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Cosmopolitan, cheers!
- 1 stalk of fresh rhubarb, chopped into 1" pieces, plus more for garnish
- 4-5 large strawberries, sliced, plus more for garnish
- 2-3 TBS honey
- 1 cup water
- 6 oz Strawberry flavored vodka
- 2 oz Triple Sec
- Begin by making the strawberry rhubarb syrup. Place the water and honey in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Once the liquid begins to bubble, add the chopped rhubarb. Stir, and reduce to simmer. Once the rhubarb is tender and beginning to break down, add the strawberries and simmer for 1-2 more minutes. Set aside to cool, then muddle together and pour through a fine mesh strainer.
- Then in a martini shaker filled with ice, add the vodka, triple sec, and about ½ cup of the strawberry rhubarb syrup.
- Shake until cold and pour into two chilled martini glasses.
- Garnish with a slice of rhubarb and a fresh strawberry. Cheers!