I am so excited to partner with ALDI to share with you one of my family’s favorite recipes! While this post was sponsored, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Ask the majority of people in our house what they want for dinner, and they will likely answer, “sloppy joes.” I am a big fan of sloppy joes myself but I also like to make sure I get vegetables into my family as well. That is where these hidden vegetables sloppy joes come in. They sneak in vegetables that my family would never dream of eating knowingly!
Kale and beets are two super nutrient packed vegetables. But, they are also two that most people will quickly run away from…especially kids! So, I sneak them into these amazing sloppy joes and no one ever even suspects they are in there! They get their favorite meal and I get satisfaction knowing they are getting vegetables, too.
As always, while trying to maintain a balanced diet, I also try to save money on food whenever possible. That is where ALDI comes in by offering exclusive brands that help you get better quality ingredients for lower prices. Their stores are smaller than the average national chain grocery store allowing them to keep costs down while still offering high quality foods. They also have little differences like stocking shelves in the boxes the food comes in and using a quarter to “borrow” a cart policy that helps their staff focus on the customer versus spending extra time fetching carts from the parking lot or stacking cans on shelves.
Their products are always top quality even with the lower cost. ALDI recently made a big move to remove any added MSG, certified synthetic colors and partially hydrogenated oilsALDI exclusive food brands. Plus, ALDI taste tests all of their products multiple times throughout the year, so they can say from experience that they’re the same quality – or higher – as the national brands. I am a big fan of their Fit & Active brand which offers a range of products with less fat, less sodium or fewer calories. For this recipe, the price difference for my ingredients was incredible!
Ingredients for Hidden Vegetable Sloppy Joes:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 Bland Farms sweet onion, diced
2 tsp Stonemill minced garlic
3 tsp Stonemill chili powder
2 tsp Stonemill cumin
1 can Happy Harvest beets
2 cups fresh kale
1 6oz can Happy Harvest tomato paste
1/4 cup water
2 bell peppers, diced
1 can Fit & Active petite diced tomatoes, drained
4 L’oven Fresh Kaiser Rolls
4 slices Happy Farms provolone cheese
Let’s Make It:
1. Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook, stirring to crumble. Add onion and cook until softened. Stir in garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
2. In a food processor, combine beets, kale, tomato paste and 1/4 cup water. Process until smooth. Stir into beef mixture.
3. Add diced bell peppers and petite diced tomatoes. Stir well. Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve on rolls topped with sliced cheese.
I served these hidden vegetable sloppy joes the other night with french fries and my children asked where their vegetables were for the night. I told them we were having a special night where they didn’t have to get a scoop of vegetables on their plate. They ate the entire sloppy joe and asked for seconds!
What are some of your family’s favorite meals? How do you save money on your grocery bill and still make sure you get high quality ingredients?
ALDI wants to hear about your experience at their store. They are hosting a giveaway for a $200 ALDI gift card. You can earn entries by sharing a photo or video of your ALDI Try & Tell experience, sharing this blog post on Twitter, and sharing the giveaway with their friends. ALDI especially encourages you to share your photos and videos. Simply complete the form below to enter!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 Bland Farms sweet onion, diced
- 2 tsp Stonemill Essentials minced garlic
- 3 tsp Stonemill chili powder
- 2 tsp Stonemill cumin
- 1 can Happy Harvest beets
- 2 cups fresh kale
- 1 6oz can Happy Harvest tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 can Fit & Active petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 L'oven Fresh Kaiser Rolls
- 4 slices Happy Farms provolone cheese
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook, stirring to crumble. Add onion and cook until softened. Stir in garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine beets, kale, tomato paste and 1/4 cup water. Process until smooth. Stir into beef mixture.
- Add diced bell peppers and petite diced tomatoes. Stir well. Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve on rolls topped with sliced cheese.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of ALDI.