I love summer vacations. Mathlete and I got to go to California for a week in July and it was amazing. We were visiting wine country so there was lots of wine tasting and TONS of amazing food. I definitely did not focus on eating paleo at all. I just ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Of course, my waistline is paying for that now so I am trying to focus on healthier eating. Breakfast is typically my most difficult meal but I have fallen in love with these paleo sweet potato waffles!
Sweet potatoes are one of those wonderful vegetables that you can use in savory dishes (like these southwestern waffles) or things that you want to be a little sweeter. I love how they work in these super easy waffles.
Ingredients for Paleo Sweet Potato Waffles:
1 cup almond flour
1 cup sweet potato puree
3 Tbsp melted coconut oil
Pinch of salt
1 Tbsp raw honey
1 tsp baking soda
Let’s Make It:
1. Preheat the waffle maker to medium heat.
2. In a large bowl, combine the the almond flour, mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, honey, baking soda, salt, and coconut oil. Let mix rest for one minute.
3. Spray waffle make with nonstick spray. Pour mix into preheated waffle maker and cook for 4 minutes or until done. Remove and serve with desired toppings.
I always bake a few sweet potatoes on the week so I can have them around for meals throughout the week. It is great to be able to mix up waffles with the puree as I want. Or, just dice them and use them in salads. They really are so versatile.
For the waffles, I typically use maple syrup as my topping. Of course, even though they are paleo, Mathlete insists on butter too.
What are some of your favorite breakfast recipes? Have you tried making waffles with sweet potatoes yet?
Essential Items for this Recipe:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the waffle maker to medium heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the the almond flour, mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, honey, baking soda, salt, and coconut oil. Let mix rest for one minute.
- Spray waffle make with nonstick spray. Pour mix into preheated waffle maker and cook for 4 minutes or until done. Remove and serve with desired toppings.