Hey Just Us Four Readers! I hope y’all are ready for another delicious recipe, because this one is a doozy! When I first read that you could make cake in a slow cooker, I really didn’t believe it…I’m not sure why, but probably because I am terrible at real baking, and this seemed like a major shortcut. I decided to try out a Slow Cooker Chocolate cake, and made it lava style – Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake.
While this cake was baking away in the slow cooker, I was shocked at the aroma that was filling the house. My son kept asking me, “mommy, what is that smell?!?!” and then when I told him what it was, he would squeal with glee at the prospect of getting to eat chocolate cake even though we weren’t at a birthday party. I was squealing right there with him.
After 2 hours my cake was done cooking, and I will admit, it looked kind of weird in the slow cooker. It didn’t look great, and I was anxious about how it had turned out…could cake really be cooked, and cooked well, in the slow cooker? Once I dipped the serving spoon through the cake though, a flood of chocolate sauce came flowing to the surface, covering the cake. OOOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGGG!!!! I did it!!! It was a slow cooker success!!!
I’ll admit, this cake was really hard stage for photos, and part of being a food blogger means taking things that might not look great, and making them look great. This cake was really hard, even though it was SO delicious, it was really hard to make it look perfect so to speak. I shot it a couple different ways, and liked how it looked both ways, even though I still feel like the photos don’t portray the monumental deliciousness of this Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake. Make it- I know you are probably feeling skeptical, just like I did, but just come back here after you made and and comment telling me that I was right! I was right when I told you this is the BEST chocolate lava cake you will ever make, and you barely have to do anything!!!
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate or 2 ounces chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 TBS Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1. spray the inside of a 2 ½ quart to 5 quart slow cooker with non stick spray.
- 2. In a medium bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together; set aside.
- 3. In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, mixing between each increment, cooking until melted (shouldn't be more than 2 minutes).
- 3. Adding to the butter mixture, whisk in 2/3 cup of sugar, 3 TBS of cocoa, vanilla, salt, milk, and egg yolk. Add the flour mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed. Pour the batter into the slow cooker and spread it evenly.
- 4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa and hot water until completely mixed together. Pour the mixture over the batter in the slow cooker. - DO NOT MIX.
- 5. Cover and cook for 2-3 hours on HIGH, checking at the 2 hour mark. The cake should look done, and the sides of the cake will be away from the sides of the slow cooker. The larger your slow cooker, the shorter the cooking time will be. *I cooked in a small 2.5 quart slow cooker and it took exactly 2 hours.
- 6. Remove the top, be careful not to drip water from the lid onto the cake, and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Serve topped with ice cream or whipped cream.
Like dessert as much as I do? Check out these other awesome dessert recipes on Domestic Superhero:
You can also connect with me here:
Thanks for visiting!