An easy salad, like chicken avocado quinoa salad, that can be made ahead and enjoyed all week long is perfect for meal prep or just to get ready for a summer party!
During the summer, I totally crave cool salads but get bored with lettuce based salads pretty quickly. Chicken avocado quinoa salad is the perfect salad that fits as a light main course or a fun side dish at your summer BBQ or picnic.
I recently discovered a quinoa and red rice blend at the store so I swap that out for regular quinoa from time to time. This salad is so versatile that you can use regular quinoa, red quinoa or even the blend of quinoa and red rice. If you need a great recipe for perfect quinoa every time, use this one.
Since the lime juice is the main “sauce” component to the chicken avocado quinoa salad, be sure to use fresh limes versus bottled lime juice. It makes a huge different in flavor! I also toss my cut avocado in a little lime juice before adding to the salad.
Now, I know some people can’t do cilantro because it tastes like soap for them. Thankfully, I am not that person. However, if you aren’t a cilantro fan, you can replace it with Italian parsely. You’ll lose a little flavor but, if that flavor is soap to you, you really haven’t lost much, right?
You can serve this warm but I prefer cold. So, I usually make it on Sunday and then enjoy it during the week for lunch. It holds up so well so making it ahead is no problem at all. (So perfect for meal prep!)
If you like this chicken avocado quinoa salad, be sure to try these great recipes:
What You’ll Need for This Recipe:
If you make this chicken avocado quinoa salad or any other recipe from the blog, I’d love to hear about your experience. Let me know if the comments or snap a photo and tag it #MySuburbanKitchen on Instagram or Twitter.
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ears of corn, grilled and removed from cob (or 1 small can niblets)
- 1 cup shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 large avocado
- 4 limes
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 1/2 Tbsp agave (sugar works ok too)
1. In a large bowl, mix onion, black beans, corn, chicken and quinoa together.
2. In a blender, combine the lime juice, cilantro and agave to make the dressing.
3. Cut the avocado in small pieces and toss in dressing. Add avocado to quinoa mixture.
4. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and toss to combine. Sprinkle with sea salt.
1. I use a rotisserie chicken but you can use about 2 chicken breasts cooked and shredded.
2. You can replace the cilantro with parsley if desired.
3. You can replace the fresh corn with one can of Mexicorn (drained) if desired.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 269kcal Calories from fat 68|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||40%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|