Summer calls for easy, no bake desserts that can be made in advance and enjoyed whenever you want! This chocolate eclair cake is simple to make and tastes amazing!
Chocolate eclair cake is a staple in my family. For any event, holiday, party or birthday, you know someone is going to make one. The reason: no one can resist it. Plus, it is no bake which means your kitchen stays cool too.
The recipe itself is super simple and only needs a few easy to find ingredients. Some of our past au pairs love it so much that we do have to ship them one of the ingredients each year but we don’t mind because we know exactly how irresistable this cake is.
The cake itself is just layers of pudding like creme and graham crackers. You start with vanilla pudding and then mix in cool whip (if you don’t have access to cool whip, you can make your own using this recipe).
Then, it is as simple as building the layers. Start with a layer of graham crackers.
And, before you add the chocolate, you’ll end with a layer of graham crackers too. Be sure to refrigerate the cake portion while you make the chocolate.
A lot of people also call this an icebox cake since it spends a lot of time in the refrigerator versus the oven. Whatever you choose to name it, I know you’ll call it delicious at the first bite.
If you like this chocolate eclair cake, you definitely need to try these other great recipes:
Items You Will Need for This Recipe:
If you make this chocolate eclair cake or any other recipe from the blog, I’d love to hear about your experience. Let me know if the comments or snap a photo and tag it #MySuburbanKitchen on Instagram or Twitter.
Chocolate Eclair Cake
- 1 box graham crackers
- 2 small packages instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 1 package cool whip
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine pudding and milk in large bowl. Whisk until thickened to pudding consistency. Place in fridge for 5 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip until well combined.
2. Layer graham crackers in single layer in 9x13 baking dish. Top with 1/2 of pudding mixture. Repeat layers ending with graham crackers. Refrigerate.
3. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in cocoa powder and sugar. Once sugar begins to melt, whisk in milk. Bring to boil and cook, whisking constantly, for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract. Pour over the top layer of graham crackers. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until set.