Tater tot casserole spells the end of any diet you might be on but it is totally worth every bite! Get ready for the perfect combination of crispy tater tots, melty cheese and crunchy onions all baked together.
Tater tot casserole is a total family favorite in our house. Easy to put together and full of flavor, you just can’t find a better recipe for feeding the family on a busy night.
This casserole blends so many great flavors together but is so simple to make! I usually let the kids get involved because, once the beef is all cooked, it is as simple as layering in the ingredients.
This casserole is so versatile too and you can easily add in additional spices and flavors as you see fit. My friend Jessica makes a yummy sloppy joe version which is incredible.
A few other great ways to change this recipe up:
- Switch the cheddar cheese with a swiss or gouda
- Try it with sweet potato tots
- Use cream of celery or cheddar cheese soup in place of the cream of mushroom
- Lighten it up with ground turkey
Whatever way you decide to make this casserole, I guarantee your entire family will be asking for seconds because it is THAT good.
Casserole recipes are always ones I like to include in my weekly meal plan because they are easy to throw together and just heat when we are ready to eat. Or, as I do with this one a lot, I make it and bake it. Then, my family can reheat it when they are ready to eat.
I like to use the extra crispy tater tots for this tater tot casserole. But, if you can’t find them or just prefer the regular ones, both work just well.
If you love this recipe for tater tot casserole, be sure to try these other great family friendly casserole recipes:
- Pasta Casserole
- Greek Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Sloppy Joe Biscuit Bake
- Easy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Alfredo Baked Ziti
If you make this tater tot casserole recipe or any other recipe from the blog, I’d love to hear about your experience. Let me know in the comments or snap a photo and tag it #MySuburbanKitchen on Instagram or Twitter.
- 1 32 oz package tater tots
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 10 oz condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup French's fried onions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray 9x13 cooking dish lightly with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the dish with tator tots and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce overn temperature to 350 degrees.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in pan and saute onion and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and stir to combine. Layer on top of tater tots.
- In a medium bowl, mix condensed cream of mushroom soup and water. Stir well. Stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of friend onions.
- Pour soup mixture over tater tots and spread evenly. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and fried onions.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is fully melted.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 561 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 80mg Sodium: 1205mg Carbohydrates: 42g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 27g