Your next pizza night is the perfect time to break out this fusion recipe for pork banh mi flatbread pizza. With all the flavors of the classic vietnamese sandwich, this flatbread pizza is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
One of my favorite sandwiches is a pork banh mi. Sadly, I can rarely find the perfect bread to make one at home so, instead, I take all the same flavors found in the sandwich and make recipes like pork banh mi tacos and this pork banh mi flatbread pizza.
What is a Banh Mi?
A traditional banh mi is a Vietnamese sandwich served on a baguette and filled with pork, pickled vegetables, pate and jalapenos. Some places also include mayonnaise on the sandwich. Depending on where you go, the pork could be sliced, shredded, or cubed.
For the flatbread pizza, I like to have the pork shredded but sliced or cubed would work equally as well. Just go with whatever is easiest for you when making this flatbread pizza recipe.
One of the key elements of a Banh Mi and this flatbread pizza recipe is the inclusion of pickled vegetables. Typically, a banh mi features pickled carrots, cucumber, and daikon radish. If daikon radish is difficult to find in your area, you can use regular radishes instead.
One you have all of your ingredients together, making this recipe is as simple as assembling the pizza. I use a pre-made flatbread to make it super fast. You can use your favorite pizza crust recipe if you prefer or even go with naan instead.
When you get ready for your next pizza night, be sure to give this pork banh mi flatbread pizza a try to get a break from the standard pepperoni and cheese combination. Your taste buds will definitely thank you.
If you love this recipe for pork banh flatbread pizza, be sure to try these other great pizza recipes:
- Brazilian Pizza
- Mexican Pizza
- Shrimp Scampi Pizza
- BBQ Pork Pimento Cheese Pizza
- Spicy Thai Chicken Pizza
If you make these pork banh mi tacos or any other recipe from the blog, I’d love to hear about your experience. Let me know in the comments or snap a photo and tag it #MySuburbanKitchen on Instagram or Twitter.
- 2 lb pork shoulder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp five spice powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups shredded daikon radish
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 flatbread pizza crusts
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together five spice, salt, pepper, cayenne, and brown sugar. Rub all over pork.
- Heat avocado oil over medium-high heat in dutch oven. Sear pork on all sides. Set aside.
- Add sesame oil to dutch oven. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, and water. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a few onion slices to bottom of dutch oven. Return pork to pan and top with remaining onion slices. Transfer to oven and cook for about 3 hours or until tender. Shred with fork once done.
- In a small saucepan, combine rice vinegar, white vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to boil and then remove from heat. Add carrots, cucumber and daikon radish to mason jar or bowl and top with vinegar mixture. Transfer to refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and sriracha. Stir to combine.
- Spread sriracha mayonnaise on each flatbread pizza crust. Top with shredded pork, pickled vegetables, sliced jalapenos and chopped cilantro.