Apple & Gouda Grilled Cheese is perfect for fall and made from melty gouda and crisp granny smith apples! This Apple & Gouda Grilled Cheese is savory and delicious! One of the best grilled cheese recipes you’ll ever come across!
Now that fall is approaching us, I have been whipping up lots of delicious ‘fall’ recipes. I was really excited to make this Apple & Gouda Grilled Cheese because not only is it reminiscent of fall, but I knew the Just Us Four Readers would love it!
Hey, y’all! Allyson from Domestic Superhero here again and I am psyched to share this mouthwatering recipe with you. Not only is this one super simple, but it’s soooo delicious! I love making savory food, and this recipe is definitely that.
When fall rolls around, I feel like food is so centered around apples, pumpkin, cinnamon, and sweet potatoes…as it should be. I just swoon over all of those things, and fall foods make me super happy. What is your favorite fall food? Is there something you associate with fall?
For this sandwich I used a smoked gouda cheese, and it’s up to you if you use smoked or regular. I think it would be great with both, but the smoked gives it this bacon-y punch that’s really special.
Pairing the cheese and apples is a no brainer (think cheese plate), but now you are sandwiching it between two crusty pieces of bread. Then grilling it up, you melt the cheese and it becomes perfection.
This recipe makes two grilled cheese sandwiches so be sure you have someone to share with when making it!
If you loved this grilled cheese recipe, check out these other great sandwich recipes including some great gourmet grilled cheese recipes:
- Turkey Apple Grilled Cheese
- Pesto Hearts of Palm Grilled Cheese
- Bacon Lettuce Tomato Tea Sandwich
- Green Goddess Vegetable Sandwich
- Fiery Turkey Bacon Grilled Cheese
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- Sandwich press
- 4 slices of fresh crusty bread (I like sourdough!)
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 slices smoked or regular Gouda cheese
- Lay out your slices of bread. Add 1 slice of cheese to 2 slices of bread. Add apple slices on top of each slice of cheese (divide the apple slices in half between 2 sandwiches). Top with another slice of cheese, and then place the remaining bread slices on top. Slather butter on the top piece of bread.
- Heat your skillet over medium heat, and lay the sandwiches with the buttered bread touching the skillet. Butter the top piece of bread now. Place a sandwich press or heavy bottom skillet on top of the sandwiches to press them down. Cook for 3-4 minutes on first side, or until browned. Flip carefully and cook 2-3 minutes on the other side, allowing to brown (careful – second side usually cooks faster).
- Slice sandwiches in half and serve immediately!