Your next potluck dish is right here! Fruit Cocktail Dump Cake is so easy to make but tastes like you slaved all day over it! It is sure to be a hit with everyone who tries it!
Hi My Suburban Kitchen readers! I am so excited to be here with you today! I am Keri and I blog over at Shaken Together where I am celebrating a creative life with easy recipes, seasonal crafts and fun gifts! Some of my favorites things are my hubby of almost 15 years, our two sports obsessed boys, our two quirky cats, chippy old wood, the color red, singing at the top of my lungs, lists and mason jars! And speaking of easy recipes, I can’t wait to share one with you!
Fruit Cocktail Dump Cake
Dump cake (the traditional cherry pie filling + crushed pineapple version) is one of our family’s favorite desserts. It is so easy to make and it is a great dish to feed a crowd!
Basically, you dump some fruit in a baking dish, cover it with a cake mix and some melted butter and pop it in the oven. It comes out bubbly and piping hot and it is pretty awesome paired with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream! That’s how to make a dump cake, simple right?
For this fruit cocktail dump cake, instead of pie filling, one day I crossed my fingers and decided to use fruit cocktail. Serious WIN! The mix of peaches, pears, pineapple, grapes and cherries in a lightly sweet syrup is the perfect compliment to the golden buttery crust! You can use almonds or omit the nuts entirely, but I really love the toasty crunch of pecans sprinkled on top!
That bubbly fruit filling is SO good – see how it snuck out around the edges of the pan? YUM! With cool weather, Fall parties and get togethers right around the corner, you can add this Fruit Cocktail Dump Cake to your pot luck list!
Thanks so much for having me, Shannah! I appreciate you sharing your space and your amazing readers with me for the day!
How about a few more fruity desserts from Shaken Together!
- Traditional Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake
- Cherry Pie Dumplings with Lemon Glaze
- Banana Bread No Bake Cookies
- Mini No Bake Raspberry Pies
- Key Lime Pie Cookie Cups
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- 3 15 oz. cans very cherry fruit cocktail
- 1 16.5 oz yellow cake mix
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Drain two cans of the fruit cocktail. In a bowl, mix together the two cans of drained fruit cocktail and the third can (fruit + light syrup). Pour the fruit mixture into a 9 x 13 baking pan prepared with non-stick baking spray.
3. Spread fruit into an even layer. Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the fruit and spread into an even layer.
4. Drizzle the top of the cake mix with the melted butter, trying to cover as much of the top of the cake mix as possible. Sprinkle with nuts.
5. Bake for 48 - 52 minutes until the top of the cake is browned and the filling is gently bubbling around the edges. (Test with a toothpick to make sure there is no raw/liquid batter.)
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 432kcal Calories from fat 183|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 20g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|