When on the hunt for heathly recipes for weight loss, I always make sure this cabbage soup recipe is on the list. Even if you aren’t looking for weight loss, you can’t best this amazing combination of cabbage and spinach in a hearty soup.
Cabbage soup is always a huge favorite and is so easy to make. Combining cabbage and sausage with fresh herbs and other ingredients makes the best cabbage soup recipe ever!
There are so many different versions of cabbage soup and refers to any of the variety of soups based on various cabbages, or on sauerkraut and known under different names in national cuisines. Cabbage soup is particularly popular in Polish, Slovak and Ukrainian cuisine.
How do cabbage soup recipes differ amount different cultures?
- The Swedish cabbage soup is usually made from white cabbage, which is browned before being boiled, and seasoned with generous amounts of allspice and sometimes served with boiled meatballs.
- Polish cabbage soup (Polish kapusniak) is made with cabbage and sausage.
- German cabbage soup typically uses ground beef along with cabbage.
In addition to cabbage and sausage, this cabbage soup recipe includes white beans, fresh herbs and Parmesan rind to really kick up the flavor!
I make this on the stovetop but you could easily create a slow cooker cabbage soup instead if you want to just let it cook for a few hours.
My cabbage soup recipe has smoked sausage included in the recipe. You can leave it out and make a vegetable soup instead and it would still be totally delicious. To make it truly vegetarian, swap out the chicken broth for either vegetable or mushroom broth.
I mentioned above that I use Parmesan rind in this soup recipe. What is Parmesan rind used for? You can use Parmesan rind for so many different things and it is a great way to really use up all of the cheese you get. Some great uses, besides add them during cooking of soups, include:
- Store Parmesan rinds and then make Parmesan broth to use in recipes.
- Add to pot when making tomato or pasta sauce.
- Toast the rinds and use like cheesy croutons (yes, the rinds are totally edible).
This cabbage stew doesn’t align with the requirements from the popular cabbage soup diet from the 1980s. But, it is full of flavor and features all kinds of healthy ingredients that you can feel good about eating.
If you love this cabbage soup recipe, be sure to try these other great healthy recipes for weight loss:
- Teriyaki Shrimp Vegetable Noodles
- Crockpot Baked Potato Soup
- Skinny Lasagna Rolls
- Instant Pot Minestrone
- Chicken Detox Soup
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 stalks fresh rosemary
- 1 inch Parmesan rind
- 2 cans cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- Sliced Parmesan for garnish
- In a large pot, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add sausage slices and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil to pot. Add onion and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add carrots through oregano and bring to boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove rosemary stalk and Parmesan rind. Top with shaved Parmesan before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115