Zucchini are the perfect vegetable for a quick, throw together salad that is big on taste and light on work. This zucchini quinoa salad is perfect to take along for picnics, potlucks or just to make for lunch because it can easily be make ahead.
This about the time of year that everyone’s garden is completely overrun by zucchini. We all make bread, muffins, zoodles, fritters, dinners with zucchini boats and yet we still have more zucchini to use. I won’t complain much because I love zucchini but I know it can get boring having zucchini in everything. That is until you try it in this zucchini quinoa salad. Then, you’ll mourn the end of zucchini season.
This salad is so easy to put together and makes a great lunch all by itself. Or, pair with grilled chicken or steak for a great dinner option that is perfect for the last days of summer.
I love how the warm quinoa softens the beans and zucchini a little bit before it all cools down in the refrigerator. I think it makes for a perfect mixture of textures. Of course, all the bright flavors of the dressing are the perfect finishing touch.
What are your favorite ways to use the last zucchini from the garden? Have you tried using quinoa instead of pasta in summer salads?
Essential Items for this Recipe:
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 1/2 cup kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 zucchini thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
1. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
2. In a large bowl, combine warm quinoa, kidney beans, and zucchini. Toss with prepared dressing and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. When ready to serve, top with goat cheese, lemon peel and chopped basil.