Obviously, with all the recipes I share here, I spend a decent amount of time in the kitchen. In fact, it is one of my favorite places to be because I love cooking so much. I often get asked my recommendation for different types of kitchen tools by friends so I figured I would share my top ten favorite kitchen tools in case you were wondering the same thing from time to time!
Now, before you get skeptical, these are items that I actually own and use all the time in my own home. They are seriously my go tos and if I run out or something gets too old, I replace it with the exact same item. If I am buying a gift for a someone I know loves to cook, these are always first on my list too.
I am not a big baker but there are a still a few tools that are traditionally used for baking that I feel like everyone should own.
1) A half sheet pan is a must. I have 6 because I use them for everything. The Gold touch ones are awesome but you can’t use nonstick cooking spray on them so I have a few of the stainless steels ones as well.
2) Parchment paper sheets precut to fit into a half sheet pan might be one thing saving my sanity. I always end up fighting with the cutter if I am using a roll. I finally gave up and bought the precut ones and I am in love!
3) A cooling rack is another must. I have a few nonstick ones too but this one if my favorite because it fits right inside of my half sheet pan which is perfect when I want to make cayenne candied bacon!
Even the best chefs measure so measuring tools are another major kitchen staple. Here are two of my favorites when it comes to measuring
4) Oval measuring spoons are my favorite because they actually fit easily into my spice jars to get spices out.
5) The mini measuring cup is awesome…no other way to say it. It is absolutely perfect for a quick 1/4 cup or when you want to measure liquids in tablespoons. Buy two…I did.
Now we get to a few items that might be questionnable for some cooks. Some people just don’t bother with a few of these but I find I use them time and time again so they made the list.
6) A balloon whisk with a good handle makes all the difference when you are whisking something like a mustard cream sauce. The OXO one has been the best one I have found so far because it fits well in my hand.
7) I chop a lot of vegetables and fruits. I used to do the move small amounts on the blade of my knife bit until I found this bench scraper. Sure, it is a separate tool to wash but it moves my entire pile of chopped onion in one swift move which saves me so much time. The dishwasher does the extra washing anyways.
8) Ok, so I am going to tell you that someone gave me this paring knife as a gift and I thought it was a toy. The bright color and super light weight of the knife just didn’t have me convinced this was going to be “my” knife. Well, I LOVE it. It is seriously the best paring knife I have ever used. Just don’t accidentally put it in the play kitchen because it is super sharp.
9) Peelers are one of those things you either love or don’t bother with. I’m a lover…in fact, I love the versatility of having different types of peelers so I can peel potatos or make something like zucchini carpaccio with total ease.
10) I didn’t own a melon baller until just recently. We just don’t eat that much melon. But, a recipe I was making called for one so I picked this one up and I use it for so much more than I expected…way beyond melon! It makes zucchini boats easy, putting ganache in cupcakes simple and so much more.
What are you favorite kitchen tools?
This post is shared at the list of fabulous parties found here.