It’s grill time! That means lots of burgers, kabobs and maybe even a grilled dessert or two. I like to change it up whenever I can and break out of the burger routine. Of course, Mathlete is a burger fan so we don’t stray too far. I was craving Italian food one night but it was just too beautiful outside to ignore the call of the deck and grill. So, I combined them both with a recipe for a delicious chicken Parmesan burger.
Since we are using ground chicken instead of a higher fat content beef, be sure to oil the grates of your grill well so you don’t end up with burger stuck to them. If you can find a slightly higher fat content ground chicken at the store, grab that over the 99% version. You’ll be rewarded with a juicer burger.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 3 Tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 4 slices of whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 4 ciabatta or other roll
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, basil, Parmesan, breadcrumbs and salt. Divide meat mixture and shape into 4 patties.
- Oil grates and then turn grill on medium heat. Cook for 7-10 minutes. Flip burgers and cook and additional 5-7 minutes or until done. Top with mozzarella cheese and cook for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Transfer burgers to buns and top with marinara sauce and fresh basil leaves.
These burgers have all the delicious flavors of chicken Parmesan mixed with that perfect summer feeling you get from a grilled meal. We ate ours with a little side salad but you could do some grilled vegetables too.
What is your favorite Italian meal? Do you do a lot of burger cooking during the summer?