This post was sponsored by Sunshine Sweet Corn as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
The absolute best part of spring and summer are all the fresh fruits and vegetables available. Fresh, in-season produce makes all the different in recipes and so I try to use it as much as possible in my cooking. We are having weather that is cool one day and warm the next so I am loving the combination of arugula salad and sweet corn chowder to help me stay warm on the cool days but also enjoy in-season vegetables too.
Now, I know corn is typically a summer vegetable that you wait in anticipation to start getting. But, Sunshine Sweet Corn, grown in Florida, is available now! That means no waiting to enjoy sweet corn as an addition to any of your spring and summer dishes. Sunshine Sweet Corn is your best option for getting delicious sweet corn as early as April!
I used the Sunshine Sweet Corn to make a hearty Sweet corn chowder with potatoes and ham. Since the chowder is rich and creamy, I paired it with an arugula salad filled with fresh tomatoes and pickled beets to help offset that creaminess for the ultimate soup and salad combination.
Ingredients for Sweet Corn Chowder:
3 ears Sunshine Sweet corn, shucked (about 2-/14 cups)
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 cups milk
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups diced peeled potatoes
3/4 cup diced ham (about 4 ounces)
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Let’s Make It:
1. Cut kernels from cobs by holding each ear upright on the wide end and using a sharp knife; reserve kernels and the cobs.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in onion; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. In a bowl, thoroughly combine milk with flour. Stir into saucepan; add potatoes, ham and reserved corn cobs. Cook, covered over very low heat, until soup is thickened slightly and potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove and discard cobs; add reserved corn kernels, salt and pepper; simmer until hot, about 5 minutes.
The salad is super simple to put together and goes perfectly with the yummy chowder. For some added deliciousness, consider tossing in some Sunshine Sweet Corn kernels too.
Ingredients for Arugula Salad:
2 cups arugula
3 Tbsp chopped basil
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 cup pickled beets, cut into chunks
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 Tbsp Dijon vinaigrette
Let’s Make It:
1. In a large bowl, toss together arugula, basil, and parsley. Add to large serving bowl. Top with beets, tomatoes and walnuts. Just before serving, drizzle with vinaigrette.
Whether you are making a quick lunch or going lighter for dinner, this combination of arugula salad and sweet corn chowder is perfection! Plus, it is super quick to make. Sunshine Sweet Corn is on sale now so be sure to look for it in your local grocer and start adding it to your favorite recipes.
- 2 cups arugula
- 3 Tbsp chopped basil
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup pickled beets, cut into chunks
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 Tbsp Dijon vinaigrette
- In a large bowl, toss together arugula, basil, and parsley. Add to large serving bowl. Top with beets, tomatoes and walnuts. Just before serving, drizzle with vinaigrette.